Your nails are a lot more complex than you may actually think. Don’t believe us? Check out these 10 interesting nail facts that will surely pique your curiosity.
So Lets Get Started:
- Your nails grow about 3 - 4 millimeters per month. That's a rate of approximately 0.1 millimeters a day.
- Fingernails grow faster during summer. Why? There are a few different theories. One theory is that people absorb more nutrients during the summer; as they are more likely to drink a lot of water on a hot summer day. Another theory is that since sunlight exposure causes your body to make Vitamin D, the increase in Vitamin D results in your nails growing at a faster rate.
- Toenails grow at roughly half the rate of fingernails. They typically grow around 1.6 millimeters a month.
- There is a proper medical name for the habit of biting your fingernails: Onychophagia. It's estimated that 25-30% of children are in the habit of nail biting.
- Your hair and nails are made up of the same protein. They are both made up of Keratin; however, your nails are much stronger than your hair due to the difference in the arrangement of Keratin molecules: which gives your nails more resilient properties.
- Men’s fingernails grow faster than women’s. Men’s fingernails typically grow upwards of 3.5 millimeters per month.
- Your nails do not breathe. Nails are not alive to begin with; so they don’t need to breathe. However, it's recommended that you do let your nails take polish breaks in order to avoid some of the harmful side effects of keeping nail polish/ acrylics on for too long.
- Stress can affect the growth of your nails. Stress is one factor that will inhibit your nail growth. Don’t worry, however, your nails will grow again.
- Fingernails need blood to survive. Blood flow is essential for nail health and growth; as this is how nails get their key nutrients. Your fingernails can actually temporarily stop growing when there is an injury preventing them from getting proper blood flow.
- Fingernails cannot sweat. Your nail bed does not contain any sweat glands; so it's impossible for your fingernails to sweat.
Which of these nail facts surprised you the most?